UPDATE (WKOW) — Beloit city officials say Friday night’s apartment fire started because of a cigarette. It is said to be accidental.
The cost of building damage is nearly $385,000.
All eight units in the apartment building are uninhabitable.
The Red Cross is helping those displaced.
No citations have been issued.
UPDATE (WKOW) — Officials with the City of Beloit Fire Department say they expect to be on the scene "for a while" this morning as they check the building for any other signs of fire.
Director of Strategic Communications Sarah Millard said on the city’s social media site that as of about midnight, everyone in the building has been accounted for with no injuries.
She says the Red Cross is assist the nearly 40 residents who have been displaced from the fire.
Millard confirmed that flames were showing from the roof and second floor walls when firefighters arrived on the scene. She says "dozens of other agencies" assisted BFD at the scene.
BELOIT (WKOW) — Emergency responders in Beloit believe everyone got out all right during a fire Friday night at an apartment building in the central part of the city.
The Rock County Dispatcher said the call, which reported flames coming from the building, came in just before 10:00 p.m. to the 900 block of West Grand Avenue. About 20 units from both Illinois and Wisconsin reportedly responded.
No one was injured. The building is believed to house about eight apartments.