Skip to Content

Fire Prevention Week Serves as a Reminder to Test Fire Detectors

LA CROSSE, Wis. (WXOW) – As the weather and temperature gets colder, it’s important to check the status of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors before using a furnace and heaters.

Fire officials says it’s best to replace old batteries and look at the label to see the life expectancy of current smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas,” La Crosse Fire Department Lieutenant Cory Westpfahl said. “It’s very toxic and it’s deadly. So it’s very important that you have those on each level as well in addition to your smoke detectors.”

Lt. Westpfahl said detectors should be placed as close to one’s sleeping area as possible.

Marcus Aarsvold

Skip to content