Skip to Content

Halloween candy can kill your dog

Lake Hallie (WQOW)- Too much Halloween candy isn’t good for anyone but it can be especially dangerous if your pet gets into it.

Large quantities of chocolate, especially dark chocolate, can make your dog’s heart rate go up and can be fatal.

Margaret McDougal, a veterinarian at Kindness Animal Hospital, said if your dog does get into chocolate you’ll know it because your dog will start to vomit.

“Chocolate, when it’s consumed, will slow down the stomach transit time which means what it eats will just sit in the stomach,” McDougall said. “Normally with dogs, the food will move through in four to six hours from the stomach, but after chocolate, it might just sit in there for 12 hours.”

McDougall said if you do think your dog ate some chocolate you should call your vet right away.

She said chocolate is also very bad for cats but hasn’t seen any cases of cats getting into candy they shouldn’t.

Kevin Millard

Kevin Millard-Social Media Digital Content Manager for WXOW.

Skip to content