Skip to Content

You can register at the polls on Election Day

LA CROSSE, Wis. (WXOW) - People who want to vote in the Tuesday primary election but haven't registered can do so at their polling location.

MORE: State Supreme Court primary will narrow the field to two

MORE: Besides Supreme Court race, few races on WI primary ballot

The Wisconsin Elections Commission says people looking to register need to provide documentation when registering.

If you have been issued a State of Wisconsin Driver License or ID card that is current and valid, you must provide the number and expiration date. If your WI driver license is canceled or expired; or your WI DOT-issued ID is expired, provide the number and the last four digits of your Social Security number. If you have not been issued a WI driver license or WI DOT-issued ID, you must provide the last four digits of your Social Security number. If you have none of these documents, you will be able to indicate that fact.

You must provide a Proof of Residence document when registering to vote in Wisconsin. A Proof of Residence document is a document that proves where you live in Wisconsin. Please see the Proof of Residence document for a list of acceptable documents. The commission said that all Proof of Residence documents must include the voter's name and current residential address. Some of the more common ones include:

-A current and valid State of Wisconsin Driver License or State ID card.
-Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit.
-Any identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and bearing a photo of the cardholder, but not including a business card.
-A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election.
-A university, college or technical college identification card (must include a photo) ONLY if the voter provides a fee receipt dated within the last 9 months or the institution provides a certified housing list to the municipal clerk.
-A gas, electric or telephone service statement (utility bill) for the period commencing no earlier than 90 days before Election Day.
-A bank or credit card statement.
-A paycheck or pay stub.
-A check or other document issued by a unit of government.
-A letter on public or private social service agency letterhead identifying a homeless voter and describing the individual’s residence for voting purposes.
-A residential lease that is effective on the date of registration. (Not valid if registering by mail.)
-An intake document from a residential care facility such as a nursing home or assisted living facility.

Again, please refer to the Proof of Residence document for a list of acceptable documents.

To find out what's on your ballot, go to My Vote Wisconsin

Kevin Millard

Kevin Millard-Social Media Digital Content Manager for WXOW.

Skip to content