LA CROSSE, Wis. (WXOW) - La Crosse's City Hall is closing to the public.
The city sent a notice out that as of 5 p.m. Wednesday, the building is closed through April 16.
Critical services continue as normal. They include police, fire, EMS, MTU, water service and wastewater, solid waste and recycling pickup.
The statement said that residents with questions or concerns should call the appropriate department. Here's a list of departments.
For payments, residents are encouraged to do the following:
Property taxes, Municipal Court citations, parking tickets, water utility payments, and general invoices Payments may be:
• Placed in the Drop Box (red box with yellow pylons):
o Northwest side of Parking Lot, City Hall, 400 La Crosse St.
• Mailed to:
o Treasurer’s Office
o 400 La Crosse St.
o La Crosse, WI 54602-2408
• Made Online (Taxes and Court Citations only):
o Visit website www.officialpayments.com.
o If requested - Use Jurisdiction Code (JCode) 5863
• Made over the Phone (Taxes and Court Citations only):
o Call 1-800-272-9829 o Use Jurisdiction Code 5863
For more Water Utility payment options visit https://www.cityoflacrosse.org/paymyutilitybill.
For online Parking Tickets visit https://cityoflacrosse.t2hosted.com/Account/Portal.
Pet licenses Payments should be made with PETDATA. A current rabies certificate may be required.
• Mailed to:
o City of La Crosse Animal Licensing
o c/o PetData o PO Box 141929
o Irving, TX 75014-1929
• Made Online o Visit their website at www.petdata.com.
• Made over the Phone
A convenience fee will apply to all online and over the phone card payments. More information can be found at https://www.cityoflacrosse.org/yourgovernment/departments/finance/treasurer.
We are still processing all permits, forms and documents as normal. However, with City Hall closed to the public, we ask that you contact the department to arrange for inspections, permit review, etc. via phone (608) 789-7530 or website: https://www.cityoflacrosse.org/yourgovernment/departments/fire-department/fire-prevention-and-building-safety.
Based on the orders from the Governor and from the CDC on limiting large gatherings, for the remainder of March and April, all committee meetings are cancelled with the following exceptions:
• Board of Public Works – March 30
• City Plan Commission – March 30
• J&A – March 31 • F&P – April 2
• Common Council – April 9
The meeting times for the above remain the same, however, we are reviewing possible changes to meeting locations and how to handle public hearing testimony and social distancing standards.
April 7 Presidential preference election
Visit “Elections and Voting” for details and polling information: https://www.cityoflacrosse.org/your-government/departments/city-clerk/electionsand-voting.
For voting in the Spring general election on April 7, we encourage people to request an absentee ballot to vote by mail. You can request one from the state at myvote.wi.gov.
For those without internet access, please contact our City Clerk’s office at (608) 789-7510 for assistance. In-person absentee voting at City Hall starts March 23 through April 3, 8:30-5, as scheduled.
For voter registration, by law, the only place someone can register during closed registration, which begins March 19, is in the office of the City Clerk. Please contact the City Clerk’s Office at (608) 789-7510 for questions about registering to vote.
We have cancelled or postponed the following services and programs for now:
La Crosse Public Library
• Closed March 18-April 13. Digital services will still be available during this time. Patrons are encouraged to check our website and social media for updates. https://www.lacrosselibrary.org/ or https://www.facebook.com/lacrosselibrary/.
La Crosse Fire Department
• All public education events and station tours until further notice. The department will continue to respond to all calls for service but will begin implementing additional protective measures for staff as well as for the public.
La Crosse Police Department
• All station tours and ride-alongs for residents until further notice. The department will respond to calls for service as normal.
Parks, Recreation and Forestry Department
• Programs are suspended until further notice. That list of programs and events is available here: https://www.cityoflacrosse.org/Home/ShowDocument?id=2431.
Our parks and trails will still be open for use, with the exception of Hixon and Upper Hixon Forest.
The lobby at Grand River Station (314 Jay Street) is closed effective March 18. As of now, our operation will remain at a normal schedule. Buses will continue to use the outdoor platform at Grand River Station as the main transfer point. We encourage people who need passes, tokens, or general assistance to contact the MTU at (608) 789-7530. Reminders if you're taking public transit – 1) Practice social distancing 2) Wash your hands 3) Use hand sanitizer 4) Cover your cough or sneeze with your elbow 5) Avoid high touch areas