Skip to Content

Less-than-lethal rounds used to subdue suspect in Onalaska standoff

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00
john czapiewski
John Czapiewski
onalaska standoff 4
onalaska standoff 5
onalaska standoff 1
onalaska standoff 2
onalaska standoff 3
standoff 4
standoff 8
standoff 7
standoff 6
standoff 5
standoff 1
standoff 2
standoff 3
Screenshot 2021-04-04 095214

ONALASKA, Wis. (WXOW) - Onalaska Police Chief Charles Ashbeck said that one man is in custody after he pointed a gun at officers responding to a call at a home Sunday morning.

Chief Ashbeck said the incident began shortly after 7 a.m. when the people living in the home found a relative sleeping on the back porch of the home. They called the police to their residence as they wanted the man to leave.

When officers went to talk to the man, he brandished a gun towards officers. The officers then left the residence and established a perimeter around the home in the 600 block of 2nd Avenue SW.

During the incident, officers from several jurisdictions including Holmen, Town of Campbell, and La Crosse provided assistance.

The La Crosse County Emergency Response Team brought their tactical Bearcat armored vehicle to the scene during the incident.

Around 10:30 a.m., officers used less-lethal rounds to subdue the suspect. Chief Ashbeck said the officers fired when the suspect pointed the weapon towards officers on the back porch area. A total of five shots were fired by officers. No one else was hurt in the incident. The man was arrested and left the scene in a squad car and taken to the La Crosse County Jail.

He was identified as John Czapiewski, 61, of La Crosse. Online records show that he was arrested on four charges including Intentionally Pointing a Firearm at Person, Fail/Comply-Officer/Person into Custody, Criminal Trespass, and misdemeanor bail jumping.

Chief Ashbeck said it wasn't clear what led the man to come to the residence.

UPDATE: Onalaska Police said the area around a home in the 600 block of 2nd Avenue South is now safe. People can now leave their homes.

A WXOW news crew said 2nd Avenue South is open again.

ONALASKA, Wis. (WXOW) - Several shots were heard at the scene of what Onalaska Police are calling an "active incident" Sunday morning.

Our news crew on the scene said they heard five shots around 10:25 a.m. followed a few minutes later by a Tri-State Ambulance moving in towards a residence.

A first responder vehicle from the Onalaska Fire Department is also on the scene.

Our crew also said that it appeared that one person in handcuffs was place into a squad car.

We'll provide more information here on as it becomes available.

ONALASKA, Wis. (WXOW) - A large law enforcement presence is outside a home in Onalaska.

Onalaska Police posted at 10:16 a.m. that there is an "active incident" happening in the 600 block of 2nd Ave. South. They're asking people that live in the immediate area to shelter in their homes.

A portion of 2nd Avenue South is blocked off from Oak Forest Drive north to Elm St.

A tactical vehicle arrived on the scene around 10 a.m. with officers wearing tactical gear.

At least one other officer can be seen holding a long gun that appears to be pointed at a residence.

Several Onalaska police vehicles are visible to our crew at the scene.

This is a developing story. As more information becomes available, we will update the story.

Author Profile Photo


Skip to content