Skip to Content

State Department continues contact tracing and vaccinating against measles

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

FORT MCCOY, Wis. (WXOW) - The State Department held a press briefing on Tuesday stating that contact tracing for measles is still ongoing, but soon to be complete.

The "Operation Allies Welcome Relocation" task force includes top Department of Homeland Security officials. Those officials noted that measles was more prominent in Afghanistan and could cause a pause in evacuating refugees to the United States.

The first positive measles test came back last week, which prompted the CDC to conduct more contract tracing.

Dept. of Homeland Security and Unified Coordination Group Senior Response Official Robert Fenton, Jr. said most close contacts came back with negative tests. However, they are still waiting on a few results, which means the remaining flights will stay on pause.

He said this has not impacted the screening process and that security measures are strict enough to make sure everyone who gets into the U.S. is an ally.

"It happened first overseas to prevent people from getting on a plane and then in an event that maybe someone got on a plane there was a second level to screen them there too," Fenton, Jr. said. "Thus far, no one has gotten into or entered the United States that is of concern."

He said they will vaccinate everyone for measles by the end of the weekend.

Fort McCoy previously reported that one person tested positive for measles and those who were in close contact had gone into quarantine.

Though measles is highly contagious, CDC data shows more than 90% of Americans are vaccinated against it by age two.

Author Profile Photo

Marcus Aarsvold

Skip to content