(WXOW) – As we brace for a weekend storm, we’re embracing some winter comfort food utilizing Wisconsin dairy. Soft pretzels and beer cheese dip make for a perfect family treat.
Tina Peterson with the Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin demonstrated how easy the recipe can be on Daybreak Friday morning. Whether for an Oscars party or just a family get-together, the relatively quick and simple to make recipe will delight even picky eaters. And here’s how to make it:
Soft Parmesan Pretzels
- Heat oven to 425˚F. Line two 15 x 10-inch baking pans with parchment paper.
- Unroll pizza crust on a lightly floured surface. Cut dough widthwise into 12 strips, each about 1-inch wide. Carefully stretch each strip into a 24-inch rope. Form each rope into a U shape. Overlap ends, twisting once. Fold ends down; press ends tightly onto the bottom of U to secure pretzel shape.
- Optional: Bring water and baking soda to boil in a Dutch oven over high heat, stirring occasionally. Drop pretzels, two at a time, into the boiling water. Boil for 30 seconds, submerging pretzels in the boiling water. Remove with a slotted spatula; drain on paper towels.
- Transfer to prepared pans; brush tops with egg wash. Bake for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine parmesan and garlic powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle each pretzel with about 1 tablespoon parmesan mixture. Bake for 2-3 minutes longer or until pretzels are golden brown. Serve warm with Warm Beer-Cheese Dip or mustard.
Warm Beer Cheese Dip
- Bring beer just to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 2 minutes. Whisk in cream cheese and cayenne pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in roasted red pepper jack until melted. Serve warm with pretzels.
Follow the Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin on social media at the handle @WisconsinCheese. You can also check out the latest Grate. Pair. Share. online magazine for more recipes and tips.