Man dies after being infected with flesh-eating bacteria

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — A Tennessee man died this week after being infected with a flesh-eating bacteria during a trip to a Florida beach.

According to news reports, the man became ill shortly after returning from vacation in Destin Beach where he was visiting family for the 4th of July.

Cheryl Wiygul, the man’s daughter, says the family discovered that a large sore had developed on her dad’s back once they had returned home, as well as red bumps on his arms and legs. The man died on July 7, just 48 hours after his last swim in Florida.

Wiygul added that while her dad didn’t have any open cuts or wounds, he did have a compromised immune system due to cancer treatments and that may have put him at greater risk.

Associated Press

Associated Press

More News

STORMTRACKER 19 WEATHER

La Crosse
72°
Winona
70°
Decorah
72°
Whitehall
68°
Prairie Du Chien
74°
Tomah
65°
Rochester
66°
Stormy Saturday…

Storms packed a punch… Most of us woke up to some intense thunderstorms Saturday. Two separate waves of storms moved through in the morning and

Read More »
Connect with WXOW

Top Stories

Scroll to top
Skip to content