MADISON, Wis. (WXOW) – Gov. Scott Walker says in his first comments to reporters since his election defeat that “We’re not going to retreat. The state of Wisconsin is not going to go backwards.”
He spoke at his office at the state capitol in Madison for the first time since his defeat November 6.
Walker also said Thursday that he’s open to Republican proposals to move the date of the 2020 presidential primary and change membership of some state boards and commissions.
Walker says he doesn’t know what he plans to do after leaving office in January. He says his record of enacting a host of conservative reforms may have worked against him. He says, “I may have reformed myself out of a job.”
Democrat Tony Evers narrowly defeated Walker.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Gov. Scott Walker says his narrow re-election loss to Democrat Tony Evers was not a rejection, but a factor of higher voter turnout going against him.
Walker spoke to reporters Thursday for the first time since losing to Evers by just over 1 point. Turnout was the highest ever for a midterm election in Wisconsin.
Walker notes that he got more votes than in any other time he’s been on the ballot. He says he’s not going to “retreat” and he’s open to Republican proposals for a lame duck legislative session that would limit the governor’s powers before Evers takes office.
Walker says what is being discussed is “pretty reasonable.”
Evers has accused Republicans of trying to cling to power.
Evers takes over as governor on Jan. 7.
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker says high school students who appear to be giving a Nazi salute in a photo are “a bunch of idiots.”
Walker was asked Thursday about the photo of Baraboo high school students that circulated earlier this week. The photo of about 60 boys was taken outside the Sauk County Courthouse in Baraboo last spring. About two-thirds of the boys have their right arms raised in what appears to be a Nazi salute.
The parent who took the photo says he was simply asking the teens to wave goodbye to their parents before they headed to prom.
But Walker says, “I think they’re just stupid. I think they’re idiots. It’s as simple as that. I don’t know that it’s any more complicated than that, they’re just a bunch of idiots.”
MADISON (WKOW) — Gov. Scott Walker will hold a news conference Thursday afternoon, marking his first public appearance since his election loss.
Walker has been out of the public eye for eight days, but took to Twitter Wednesday offering an explanation on why he hasn’t responded in public to his loss.
“The answer is simple: the decent thing to do is to let Gov.-elect Tony Evers have his time to talk about his transition,” Walker wrote Wednesday in a Facebook post.
It’s likely the governor will discuss the $100 million taxpayer-funded Kimberly Clark bill to keep hundreds of jobs in the Fox Valley. The legislative budget committee met yesterday for a public hearing but the bills fate is up in the air after state lawmakers are struggling to get bipartisan support.
Walker Tweeted this morning encouraging support for the bill.
There is no long-term solution other than the bill that will save these jobs. Leadership requires action and failure to act will lead to losing hundreds of really good paying jobs at Kimberly Clark.
— Governor Walker (@GovWalker) November 15, 2018
Walker’s news conference is scheduled for 3 p.m.